Properties for sale in Alhaurin el Grande are slightly cheaper than on the coast and offer great value as the town is only 20 mins drive to Fuengirola. Has stunning views across the Guadalhorce valley and is sheltered by the Mijas mountain range.
Alhaurin el Grande is a mountainside village in the Guadalhorce valley located in the province of Malaga. Alhaurin el Grande has survived a great deal. Waves of invaders, epidemics of plaque, even an earthquake in 1680. During the Peninsula War OF 1808-14, It was occupied for four years by French troops and suffered considerable bombardment. Unlike some of the other villages in the hills, Alhaurin el Grande acknowledges that it has a history and is quite proud of it. The town holds many festivals to celebrate.
- The area boasts of new and old build Townhouses and many country properties as well as several modern urbanizations that house some of the largest properties in the area.
- There are two golf course, both with apartments and villas on site.
- Alhaurin el Grande is located on the north side of the Sierra de Mijas at a height of 326 meters above sea level, with a benign climate of mild winters and hot summers with more then a third of the days per year have sunshine. It is 29km from Malaga and 18km from Marbella.
- Locators to Alhaurin el Grande are 36.642552, -4.688145.
Check out one of our typical townhouses for sale in Alhaurin El Grande
10 facts you should know when searching for a Property in Alhaurin El Grande.
- Spain averages 320 days of sunshine each year! Last year in 2017Alhaurin El Grande had 277 clear days of sunshine.
- The fabulous beaches of the Costa del Sol are just 20 mins (Fuengirola) – 35 mins (Marbella) away from Alhaurin El Grande.
- Malaga Airport is the closest airport just 4km from Alhaurin El Grande. It takes just 25 minutes to get there in the car.
- The scenery all around the Guadalhorce valley is absolutely stunning.
- The connection roads are wide, free of traffic and easy to navigate.
- The public transport to Malaga and the coast is frequent.
- Alhaurín el Grande is a municipality of Málaga province. It has a population of 24,338 people.
- International buyers make up 32.9% of the property market and the population of Alhaurín el Grande has grown by 7,317 (43%) since 2000.
- Market activity in Málaga province is currently 33% below its peak in 2007. There were 7,676 property transactions registered in Q1 2017.
- House prices are 5.5% up on the previous year and house sales are 14.9% up on the previous year.
The area surrounding Alhaurin El Grande is mostly vast mountain plains, rolling hills and mountains. From the town, you can also catch a glimpse of the “Hoya de Malaga” or Malaga Vale. This view is a wide carpet of Lemon and Fruit Trees that fill the valley.
The town consists of narrow, winding streets with Alhaurin Town Hall and the impressive church of Vera Santa Cruz located in the main square.
Alhaurin El Grande has had a colourful past including a period when its inhabitants were free from taxes. This all ended in tears after the local administration failed to control the town efficiently and the then King of Spain ordered Alhaurin to come under the wing of the Jurisdiction of Spain. These events led to several years of disorder for the people of Alhaurin.
For sports enthusiasts, the town also has its own Golf Course. Alhaurin´s 18 hole par 72 course was designed by Seve Ballesteros and you will also find a nine hole par 3 course bordering a beautiful lake. http://alhauringolfcourse.com/
The par 72 course is of international quality with rich green fairways and greens surrounded by dense pine forests. Set within the Sierra de Mijas Hills the course gives excellent views down to the coast and across the Mediterranean to Africa.
There is no shortage of hotels within Alhaurin and as each year goes buy there are more and more private holiday homes available for rental.
Places of interest
Check out places of interest in Alhaurin El Grande here
Have you seen the Alhaurin El Grande Castle? check it out here
If you have any questions about Alhaurin El Grande or would like more information on Alhaurin El Grande please message us here and we will be thrilled to help you out.